The St. Mary’s Episcopal Church was built on land granted to the Episcopal Diocese of Pittsburgh by the Turner family in 1872. At that time, the village of Redbank was a busy community; farming, coal mining, natural gas drilling, and railroading provided employment for many people. During Redbank’s years of growth, St. Mary’s served as a spiritual and social anchor for the community.
In the 1940s, there were enough children at the church to warrant a Sunday school, and in the 1950s, a Bible school. With the closing of area mines, and a decline in farming and railroading, the local economy dwindled, and younger generations left the area in search of better opportunities. The congregation of St. Mary’s dwindled as well, and grew older.
Through good times and bad, St. Mary’s continued to serve her faithful congregants, and the community, until the COVID pandemic forced the closing of its doors. Now, thanks to the vision of Mr. James Shuster, St. Mary’s Redbank Church has found new life as a community resource, non-denominational worship space, and venue for weddings, funerals, and other Christian celebrations. THANKS BE TO GOD!